Sunday 11 March 2012

Stories of answered prayer

I love stories of answered prayer.

Often, I don't know for sure how God has answered my prayers.  I may have missed his answer because I haven't been alert or I have looked for the wrong things.  Or, I may have put down an answer to coincidence or just the normal course of life.

But occasionally the answer is so clear that even I can see it.

There are a lot of stories of answered prayer in the Bible.  I mentioned one in an earlier post - the story of John the Baptist's miraculous birth to his aged mother and father who had been praying for a child for many years.  Or, I could talk of Jesus calling Lazarus from his tomb.  Or, the angel coming to Daniel who was pleading with God for understanding about the plight of Jerusalem and God's people.

Recently, I read the book Heaven is for Real, by Todd Burpo, a Nebraska pastor.  Burpo's son Colton nearly died in hospital while his father went to a small room nearby to be alone, closed the door and vented his fears, anger and frustration in crying out to God.

A year or so later, Colton told his father that he saw him praying in a room at the hospital while he was with Jesus in heaven and that Jesus sent the little boy back in answer to his prayer.  There was no mistaking this because Colton was unconscious in the hospital and never saw his father go to that room.

I thought of this and other stories as I listened to the following video by Pete Greig, author of Red Moon Rising, a book about a wave of prayer rooms he and others have set up around the world.  These are rooms where people pray around the clock.  Here is Pete Greig's video:



No comments:

Post a Comment