Sunday 22 April 2012

Be still

I find it hard to stop and listen to God.  But I'm working on it and I find it rewarding.

The Psalmist wrote in Psalm 46:10:  "Be still and know that I am God.  I will be exalted among the nations; I will be exalted in the earth."

Here God is demanding that we stop our frantic activities and "know" that God is God.  For a moment at least, we are to forget ourselves and step into the presence of God.

What does "knowing God" mean?  Much the same as knowing anyone else.  You can't know your friend unless you spend time with him or her.  You have to dive below the surface and understand how your friend feels and thinks about the deep things of life.

Of course, there is much to tell us about how God thinks and feels.  It is all there in scripture if we take the time to read and reflect on it. Meditate on it.  Turn it over in our minds.  Allow God's words to sink into our hearts.

Every night, for the last year and a half, I  have memorized a verse of scripture and, just before going to sleep, I have turned it over in my mind and allowed God to take these words and speak to me.

And, a few days ago, I read something in Frank C. Laubach's book Letters by a Modern Mystic which I put into practice during a walk through our neighbourhood.  In a June 22, 1930 letter, he wrote about taking a walk near his mission post in the Philippines. While walking, he spoke with God and imagined God speaking back to him.

He wrote: "It was as simple as opening and closing a swinging door.  And without any of the old strain, the whole day passed beautifully with God saying wonderful things to me."

When our minds are on God, we are exalting him.  And we are raised up, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment