Monday 4 June 2012

Thanks-living

Charles Spurgeon, a wonderful preacher in London, England, coined a phrase in a sermon 150 years ago that has stuck with me - "thanks-living".

In his view, we believers should be constantly living a life of thanks to God.  We are to do this in prayer, in obedience, in our thoughts.  This will be reflected in our character.

Praising God was very much on Charles Spurgeon's mind.  So much so that a number of his sermons were collected in a book put out a few years ago called The Power in Praising God.

As I have said before, I tend to worry.  Some of these worries are justified, most are not.  But, no matter what the situation, I can still offer thanks and praise to God.

I am doing that more often now.  I am following David's advice in Psalm 103:1-2: "Let all that I am praise the Lord; with my whole heart, I will praise his name.  Let all that I am praise the Lord; may I never forget the good things he does for me (NLT)."

There is a great deal I can thank him for as I look at the good things he does for me.

Spurgeon points out Paul's comment in Philippians 4:6: "In everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God."

Commenting on this, Spurgeon says: "We are to pray about everything and every prayer should be blended with praise."

He adds: "The constant tenor and spirit of our lives should be adoring gratitude, love, reverence and thanksgiving to the Most High."

In my heart, I know Spurgeon is right.




No comments:

Post a Comment