Tuesday 11 September 2012

Jesus' Promise


More and more, I have been thinking of Jesus’ words in John 15: “Remain in me and I will remain in you.”

These words contain a promise and a warning.  As long as my mind and heart are wrapped up in Christ, I can enjoy his active presence in my life. I can count on God working through me producing fruit – loving God and loving others.

But if I decide like the prodigal son in Jesus’ parable to go my own way and do my own thing, I can hardly expect to see God’s fingerprints on my life. It’s like me expecting to win an Olympic competition without training.

It’s strange that we Christians – myself included – think we can ignore Jesus most of the time and yet expect him to dance to our tune.

Increasingly, I realize the truth – and the joy – contained in Jesus’ words that I quoted above.  God just wants me to spend time with him.  And he promises that I will learn more of him.

Think about this for a moment: Jesus tells me I am his friend.  If I treat him as a casual acquaintance, I will not get to know him well and to enjoy him.  If I take his words at face value, I have a chance to get to know the God of the universe like the most intimate of friends.

So how do I do this?  How do I remain in Christ?

The apostle Paul says in 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18:

“Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”

In other words, I am to be in constant conversation with Jesus.  I must walk through my day knowing that Jesus is walking with me.

I am to share my thoughts, my needs, my concerns with him.  I am to rejoice that I belong to him.  I am to thank him for the great spiritual riches he has bestowed on me – and the many other good things he has given me.

This prayer- and praise-filled life will change me and the little world around me.



No comments:

Post a Comment