Monday 19 November 2012

Be specific

Most parents know what their children want for Christmas - their kids tell them exactly what they want.

It stands to reason that God delights in hearing exactly what we want, too.

I am taking this to heart because my prayers have too often been general.

Will Davis Junior, author of Pray Big: The Power of Pinpoint Prayers, says:

"God wants us to be strategic and focused about what we're asking him to do.  We need to pray for things - very specific things, gritty things, personal things, important things, kingdom things - with the pinpoint precision that Jesus modeled in the Lord's Prayer."

In his book, he mentions praying about a specific plot of land which he believed God wanted for his church in the Austin, Texas area.  God answered - with a better piece of land close by.

I am praying now with specific ministry goals in the area of group prayer in our church.  I believe that God will glorify his name as he answers those prayers - and I will know that he is answering.  It will strengthen my faith and give me boldness to pray for even bigger things.

I often turn to Acts 4 which tells of the small group of believers praying in the face of persecution.  Instead of fearfully asking for protection, they prayed for boldness in preaching the gospel and for God to perform signs and wonders.  God was pleased and the church exploded in growth.

That prayer was both specific and God-honouring.

When we pray like that, we can expect great things.




No comments:

Post a Comment