Saturday 15 December 2012

Imagination and prayer

My imagination helps me pray.

I picture Jesus with me as I ask him for something or as I share a concern.  Often, I will listen to him as I walk or as I write in my journal.  I don't hear his actual voice, but I frequently receive thoughts or promptings.

Are these thoughts from God?  The best test is whether they line up with scripture.  If not, they are not.  Of course, for major decisions, the advice of wise and godly people is vital.

When I'm struggling with fears and anxieties, I sometimes just picture him with me, saying nothing but simply being a sympathetic and loving presence.  I find this calming and restoring.

In Matthew 28, Jesus promised his followers that "I am with you always, even to the end of the age".  In John 14, he said he would not leave them alone but would live in them through the Holy Spirit.  So I know he is with me as I pray.

Some Christians suggest it is fantasy - or even idolatry - to imagine Christ.

But Jesus himself made use of human imagination when he told parables such as the parables of the good Samaritan and the prodigal son.  He told stories because he knew they would have a powerful impact on his listeners.

Organizations such as Campus Crusade for Christ (now Power to Change) saw the story of Jesus as a great way to reach people with the gospel.  The Jesus Film, which depicts Jesus in his ministry, has touched millions around the world.

Our imaginations are always active - for good or bad.  My guess is that believers - consciously or unconsciously - find their imaginations active when Bible stories are told.  It is hard not to see David facing Goliath or Jesus stumbling under the cross on the way to Calvary.

We can use our imaginations to great effect in prayer.

We know that Jesus loves us and knows everything about us.  We know that he loves us in spite of our failings.  We know that he wants a close relationship with us.

Prayer is a means for exploring this close relationship.

The author of Hebrews writes in Hebrews 12: "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith."

Imagining Jesus with me is a great help in turning my mind and heart to him.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment