Sunday 20 January 2013

Victory in surrender

I can't think of a more powerful prayer in the Bible than Jesus' statement to the Father on the eve of the crucifixion: "Not my will but yours be done."  (Luke 22:42)

Jesus, who was fully human, had just finished pleading with the Father to spare him the cross on which the whole of history hung.  He knew that God the Father would have to turn his face from him when, on the cross, he took on himself all of human sin.  The unbelievably close relationship between Father and Son would be broken for an instant.

Though sweating blood, Jesus surrendered to the Father's will.  And he won the greatest victory the world has ever seen.

By this act, he opened the way for reconciliation between God and man.  And he defeated Satan, ensuring that God's great plan for the world would triumph.

A friend of mine made the same decision when struck with cancer.  After hearing the news from his doctor, he knelt beside his bed and prayed: "Not my will but yours be done."

During the last few months of his life, he spoke to many people about Jesus, leaving this world a victor.

It's hard to pray those words.  I know it may mean giving up my own dreams and hopes.

To pray those words, I must trust that God's will is best.  I must believe that God knows better than I do what is the right path to take in my situation.

Sometimes, God pours out amazing blessings upon people who surrender to his will.

George Muller, founder of orphanages in Britain, always sought God's will in his prayer life and he lived by what he learned.  He never campaigned for money but always received just enough to feed and take care of the orphans.  He died with not much more than pocket money to his name.

There are other similar stories.  But sometimes we don't see what others would call a happy result.

My friend died of cancer.  Yet he left behind him a wonderful legacy of faith.  I am one person he touched during his last months of life.



No comments:

Post a Comment