Monday 10 June 2013

Thanking God in tough times

C. H. Spurgeon recommends mixing a dash of thanks to God with our prayers - even in tough times.

In his book The Power in Praising God, Spurgeon, a great British preacher in the 1800s, writes: "We are to pray about everything and every prayer should be blended with thanks."

He was talking about the apostle Paul's statement in Philippians 4:6: "In everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God."

Spurgeon notes that Paul frequently mingles prayers with thanks for the people he is writing to.  It was natural for him to thank God for the people he is praying about.

How might I pray and praise at the same time about a problem that is troubling me? 

Here's a hypothetical example.  Suppose I have a serious disagreement with a friend.  How do I bring this before God?

I can call upon the Lord to bring peace between us and to resolve this difference.  At the same time, I can thank God for nurturing this friendship over years.  I can thank the Lord for the good times we have had in the past.  I can offer thanks for the many good qualities my friend has.

Among other things, Spurgeon suggests such steps as:
  • Praising God for working things out for my good in the end even though I do not see it at the moment;
  • Thanking the Lord for past blessings including giving me life everlasting in Jesus Christ;
  • Offering thanks that God loves me and is using this present problem in love;
  • Thanking him for the answer that is to come; and
  • Praising God for past answers to prayer.
Such praying displays trust in God and his goodness, no matter what may happen.

Spurgeon says it brings benefits to us as we pray.  It gives us peace of mind and heart.  It stimulates prayer.  And it prepares us for blessing.

God looks at our hearts, Spurgeon says, and when he sees our trusting reliance on him, he blesses us.

What could be better than that?







 

No comments:

Post a Comment