Sunday 13 July 2014

The wonder of blessing

"Bless those who persecute you," says the apostle Paul.  "Bless and do not curse."


Those words have stuck in my heart for a long time.

More and more I recognize that blessing others can only come from a heart given over to God.  When we bless others who have hurt us, we are stepping beyond human boundaries.

It is a sign of God's love, flowing from us to others.  These words of Paul above come in a passage in Romans 12 where he is speaking about how we are to love other people.

I have written several blog entries on blessing in the past couple of years - a number in recent months alone.  I have read and enjoyed books such as The Grace Outpouring by Roy Godwin and The Power of Blessing by Kerry Kirkwood.

I am preoccupied by the topic.  Now, I need to let God work through me to bless others on a daily basis.

I anticipate that blessing others regularly will change me.

The Bible draws a stark picture of blessing - and non-blessing.  As Paul points out, we must not curse others.  And cursing is much easier to do.

At first, cursing does not seem such a big deal.  It's only words.  But cursing suggests you have judged someone - and that judgement hangs between you and the person you have cursed.

I find that hard to accept.  If someone has let me down, am I not justified in condemning him?

No, says Paul, I am not justified.  Judgement belongs to God alone.

So, how can I bless someone who has let me down?

As I think about it, I must first begin by giving the incident to God and leave it in his hands, acknowledging my hurt.  Then, I must thank God for the person and his qualities and pray a blessing for his good.

As Kerry Kirkwood suggests in his book, I can pray that the person will become what God wants him to be.  I can pray spiritual, emotional, and physical blessings for him, too.

As I say, blessing others will surely change me.  And God may work through my blessings in other people's lives.

That is certainly the testimony of books I have read.

That would be a great blessing from God in my own life.



No comments:

Post a Comment