Sunday 29 March 2015

He's my friend

It seems ridiculous to call God a friend.  He is so awesome and powerful and we are so puny.

But Jesus told his followers in John 15: "I no longer call you slaves because a master doesn't confide in his slaves.  Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me."

That is deep sharing - the hallmark of a close friendship.  Jesus shared his life and his love with his followers.  He even gave his life for them.

And this friendship is the basis for bold, effective prayer.

In her book Simple Prayer, Joyce Meyer writes: "If I had to identify the most important key to effective prayer, it is approaching God as his friend."

If Jesus tells me I am his friend, why should I be afraid to talk to him?  I should go to him eagerly, telling him about my joys, thanking him for his gifts, asking him to meet my needs.  And listening attentively to what he tells me.

Meyer says that "if we go to Him as our friend, without losing our awe of him, our prayers will stay fresh, exciting and intimate."

"A natural friendship involves loving and being loved.  It means knowing that someone is on your side, wanting to help you, cheering you on, and always keeping your best interest in mind."

Of course, friendship with God is more than a natural friendship.  God never stops loving me and caring for me even though natural friends sometimes do.

 But friendship grows only as I spend time with my friends.  And that is true of my relationship with God.  If I stop meeting him and talking with him, my relationship stagnates.

"Don't just run to Him when you're desperate," says Meyer, "talk to Him in the grocery store, while you are driving your car, combing your hair, walking the dog, or cooking dinner.  Approach Him as your partner and your friend and simply refuse to do anything without Him."

We should seek his advice and guidance as we would of a close friend.  We should delight in pleasing him.  And, as the psalmist wrote: "Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you your heart's desires."

Meyer offers Abraham as an example of a man who counted on God as his friend.  She writes of the exchange Abraham had with God in Genesis 17 about what the judgement he planned for Sodom and Gomorrah, by-words for sin and wickedness.

God said he would share his plans with Abraham, his friend.  And Abraham pleaded with him to withhold destruction of these cities.  Ultimately, not enough good men could be found in that place to save Sodom and Gomorrah.

But the point Meyer is making is that Abraham spoke with God boldly and without fear because he knew the Lord as his friend.

We can do that, too.  We can enjoy him as a friend.  And we can ask things of him with confidence because he is our good friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment