Tuesday 25 August 2015

Pray - there's no other way!

Strange, isn't it?  We try to do everything ourselves and when we're at a dead end, we pray.

And yet, God calls on us to pray because he is "able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine" (Ephesians 3:20).  In several instances, Jesus almost pleaded with people to pray because God is just waiting to give us good things.

I'm as guilty as anyone of this wrong way of thinking.  I plan, I work, I worry - and then I pray.

I was reading again this week the wonderful promise in Jeremiah 33:3:

"Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know."

This truth comes at a good moment for me.  I have been puzzling about some prayer plans I am working on for our church and I am feeling unsatisfied.  There is no "life" in my planning.

I have done what I usually do - I read and talk with people and discuss.  But I have not gone to God.

How ironic!  A prayer leader putting prayer last!

That's not how George Muller did things.  I talk about him a lot on this blog because he is a model of someone who prays before he acts.

Muller spent a lot of time in prayer in his very busy life managing homes for orphans in England in the 19th century.  He was a poor man himself and never issued a plea for money.  Sometimes, he would get up in the morning and not know whether he could feed the orphans at lunch - and, miraculously, a cheque would arrive in the mail to cover the expenses.

On key issues, Muller would spend time in prayer and reading the scriptures and listening to God before acting.  It was only when he was convinced God had provided the answer that he would move.

I realize I'm gripped with the modern disease of instant answers - I must know this minute what to do.  But waiting for God is vital.  As has often been said, his timing is perfect.

So, I'm determined this time to bring my prayer needs to God and ask him for his guidance in developing my plans.

I expect to be surprised - and delighted.

No comments:

Post a Comment