Sunday 22 January 2017

Pray for your leaders

We are called to pray for our nation's leaders - even if we don't like them.

Why?

I can think of several reasons:

  • We pray for our leaders so that we can lead godly and peaceful lives. (1 Timothy 2:1-4)
  • We pray for them because their authority has been given them by God. (Romans 13:1)
  • We pray for them because the Lord turns the king's heart wherever God wills. (Proverbs 21:1)
  • We pray for them because God rules over the nations, including our leaders. (Psalm 22:8)
In other words, prayer matters.  God moves as we pray.

But I admit that I am not keen about some of the leaders I see.  Like many people, I have my likes and dislikes among the men and women who rule the nations.

Does that mean I am allowed to pray bad things about them?  No.  Jesus even goes so far as to say that I am to pray even for those who persecute me. (Matthew 5:44)

So then, how should I pray for my nation's leaders?

I like some suggestions made by David Mathis, executive editor of desiringgod.org at http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/seven-ways-to-pray-for-your-leaders.

Mathis says that wisdom is one of the greatest needs of any leader.  He suggests we should turn to James 3:17 as a guide for praying for our leaders, specifically church leaders.  But they apply as well to our national leaders.

James 3:17 says:

"But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere."

Touching each one of these qualities, we can ask God that:

  • Our leaders be "pure" in the sense that they lead blameless lives;
  • Our leaders be "peace-loving" - seek to make peace among the people;
  • Our leaders be "considerate" of others, thinking of the welfare of others;
  • Our leaders be "submissive" to God in their approach to ruling others;
  • Our leaders be "merciful" - a leader who is full of mercy will find followers who are ready to go anywhere for him or her;
  • Our leaders yield "good fruit" in their lives - things that benefit the people;
  • Our leaders be "impartial" - not making snap judgements without knowing what is true; and
  • Our leaders be "sincere" - speaking the truth in gentleness.
It may seem a lot to ask of anyone in politics - it's a rough-and-tumble game.  But I have seen a few people like that.

We need to pray that God will work on the hearts of those in leadership to demonstrate these qualities.

With God, everything is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment