Monday 31 July 2017

In his name

Often, we tack on the words "in Jesus' name" at the end of our prayers without thinking about why they are important.

Albert Richardson, author of The Kneeling Christian, says those words are at the very heart of prayer according to God's will.

And if we pray according to God's will, God promises to answer.

I have long realized that the words "in Jesus' name" mean "in the character of Jesus".  In other words, our prayers are being offered as if Jesus himself was praying them.

But I confess that many of my prayers have had little to do with how Jesus would have prayed in my circumstances.

So, Richardson suggests that the words "in Jesus' name" are meaningless unless we seek to find out what God's will is before we pray.

The author notes that Jesus mentions praying in his name five times in the New Testament.  For example, he says in John 14:13-14:

"And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father.  You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."

That seems like a blank cheque, allowing us to indulge our wildest whims.  But it contains a condition - the prayer must bring glory to God.

And, in John 15:7, Jesus says: "If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you."

So the Lord is saying we must be intimately related to Jesus if we are to count on answers to our prayers.  If not, we should not be surprised that some of our prayers go unanswered.

The key questions in Richardson's mind are: Do you see prayer as a way of getting everything you want?  Or, do you want what God wants?

His view is that God wants what is good for us as well as for his glory.  He will say "No" if we ask for things that are wrong for us (James 4:3).

Does that mean I have to know every detail of God's will for my life before I pray?  I don't think so.

Richardson says we have a couple of firm guidelines for finding God's will:

  • The scriptures tell us what God wants; and
  • The Holy Spirit reveals to us what the Father wants in harmony with the scriptures.
This calls for humility when I pray.  I must ask God what he wants in my situation rather than insisting on my own desires.

"He [God] is willing to make us channels of blessing," Richardson says.  "Shall we not worship God in sincerity and truth, and cry eagerly and earnestly, What shall I do, Lord? and then, in the power of his might, do it?"

I see that, if I apply this approach consistently, my prayer life will change - and I will change, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment