Monday 11 December 2017

Faith challenge

Like many Christians, I have long wrestled with Jesus' powerful promises on faith and prayer.

How much faith do I need to see my prayers answered?  How do I build my faith?

Some years ago, Andy Stanley, the well-known American pastor and author, gave his definition of faith which I found satisfying: "Faith is believing that God is who he says he is and that he will do what he has said he will do."

In other words, faith is trusting God and his promises.  It is not me working myself into a lather, hoping that God will say "Yes" to my requests because I have hit a "10" on some faith index.

Still, it's clear that I have to do something - I have to act on what I believe.

Jesus said something particularly challenging in Mark 11:24: "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours."

I think this verse needs to be looked at in connection with another powerful promise in 1 John 5:14-15:

"This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.  And if we know he hears us - whatever we ask - we know that we have what we asked of him."

The great George Muller, who cared for hundreds of orphans in 19th century England, read and pondered scripture, seeking God's will in particular circumstances.  He also prayed, asking the Holy Spirit for guidance.  Once he was convinced about the path God wanted him to take, he waited expectantly for the Lord's answers to his prayers.

Mueller was able to feed, clothe and house the orphans over many decades without ever asking anyone for money.  He received gifts constantly from people, sometimes receiving just enough money for food in the morning mail.  He kept track of these daily answers to prayer over many years.

Another thing to consider is the state of our own hearts.  In the Mark 24 passage, Jesus says in verse 25: "And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins."

While God hears all my prayers, my own disobedience can stand in the way of God responding the way I desire.

With all that said, Jesus's promise in Mark 11:24 is tremendous.

If I know I am praying according to God's will, I can be sure I will receive the answer I am asking for.  In fact, I know I have already received a "Yes" answer.  Sooner or later, I will see the results in my life.

Prayer warriors often thank God for the positive answers they know are coming.  That is acting on what they believe.

Thank you, Lord, for this gracious promise.



No comments:

Post a Comment