Monday 16 April 2018

The value of journaling

One way to hear God is to ask him questions and write out what you believe he is telling you in your mind.

Mark Virkler, co-author with his wife Patti of 4 Keys to Hearing God's Voice, says it has profoundly changed his prayer time and his life.

He acknowledges that there are risks involved.  You can allow wishful thinking to intrude.  Or, you can attribute to God things that are clearly wrong according to the Bible.

Virkler is careful to check what he believes he hears from God with other mature Christians and the Bible.  This is especially important where major life decisions are involved.

I have been following the Virklers' approach for almost a decade.  For me, it has been a great help.

Mark Virkler says that years ago he was inspired by reading Habakkuk 2:1-3 to try this form of journaling.

Habakkuk says: "I will keep watch to see what (he) God will speak to me, and how I may reply when I am reproved."  Then God tells him to record the vision he receives and "inscribe it on tablets" so that others may read it.

Out of this, Virkler developed this method:

  • Stillness: Quiet yourself so you can hear God's voice;
  • Vision: Look for vision as you pray;
  • Spontaneity: Recognize God's thoughts that light upon your mind; and
  • Journaling: Write down the flow of thoughts and pictures that light upon your mind.
When Virkler refers to "vision", he means keeping your eyes on Jesus to see what he is telling you.

"Focusing the eyes of our hearts upon God causes us to become inwardly still, raises our level of faith and expectancy, and makes us fully open to receive from God."

Virkler says that "these elements have transformed my devotional life".  He adds: "Now I find that I can enjoy dialoguing with God by the hour and leave fully charged with his life and love."

Listening to God in this way has highlighted some of his weaknesses as well as the Lord's love for him.  Virkler says God pointed out to him that he was obsessed with rules and a legalistic approach and urged him to adopt a life of mercy and love towards others.

As for me, it has helped me to look at others the way God sees them rather than through my own petty feelings.  Sometimes that means God gently reproving me.

A benefit for everyone is to realize how forgiving and loving and encouraging God is.


No comments:

Post a Comment