Friday 27 July 2018

We are not alone

When we pray, we are not alone.

God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are all involved.  And even the angels have a hand, carrying out God's will for us.

Sometimes, we feel ignored by God and by everyone else.  But we are wrong.

We know from scripture that Holy Spirit is constantly praying for us.  The apostle Paul writes in Romans 8:26: "We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans."

The Spirit prays for or deepest needs, needs that we might not even be aware of.

The Bible also tells us that Jesus speaks for us in heaven.  He intercedes for us before the Father to assure him that he died for our sins (Romans 8:34, Hebrews 7:25, 1 John 2:1,2).

And the apostle John informs us that if we pray according to God's will, the Father will grant our request (1 John 5:14,15).

So, what am I to make of unanswered prayer?

First of all, I can be confident that God is not withholding something good from me.  He wants to give us good things.

Jesus says in Matthew 7:11: "If you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him."

That suggests to me that God does not give us things that he knows would be bad for us - even though we think they are good.

Secondly, God may give us answers to our prayers - but not until much later, even after our deaths.

We read in the Book of Revelation that prayers of believers are saved up in heaven and will be answered at a time of God's choosing in the last days of the world as we know it (Revelation 5 and Revelation 15).

No, I cannot say that God has turned away from me or has gone on vacation because he has not given me what I want. 

I admit it's hard to believe that when I,  or my family and friends, are going through hard times.

Yet David declares unforgettably in Psalm 139:

"Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast."

Yes, God's eyes are always on me and his ears always open to my voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment