Monday 27 February 2012

Praising God is good for you

I have found there is no better medicine for what ails you than praising God.

My problem is I tend to forget that this medicine is always there for me.  I spend too much time worrying or upset.  But when I take this medicine, it isn't long before my mental, emotional, and spiritual health improves.

David said as much in Psalm 34:2: "My soul will boast in the Lord; let the afflicted hear and rejoice."  The afflicted - those who are suffering in some way - will rejoice as people praise God.

There are good reasons for this.  It's obvious that as I praise God, I'm not thinking about myself.  I'm thinking of my God who created me, redeemed me, loves me just as I am.  I'm thinking of the God of the miraculous.  I'm thinking of God who is working out his plan in my life.  I'm thinking of God who has all time and eternity in his hands.

As I praise God, I begin to let go of my problems.  I realize that nothing is too big for him.  I understand that, in the end, everything will work out for my good.

Several writers have said that praising God is the highest form of prayer.

Paul E. Billheimer, author of Destined for the Throne, said: "Praise is the highest form of prayer because it combines petition with faith.  Praise is the sparkplug of faith."

When I praise God, I begin to understand that anything is possible for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment