Monday 23 July 2012

Intimate with God

I want to know Jesus the way Moses and David and Paul knew God.

I know it sounds egotistical.  But that is the kind of relationship God wants with everyone.

I used to want God's power so that I could do things that I wasn't strong enough to do myself.  There is still that lingering feeling within me.

But, over the many years of my Christian life, I have been learning that God comes first before anything else.  Now, our church is studying Transforming Prayer by Daniel Henderson which makes that point in spades.

Henderson declares that worshiping God is a major step to growing intimacy with God.  As we begin by worshiping God in prayer, we grow closer to God and we are more open to what he is telling us.

"Worship-based prayer ignites a desire for spiritual intimacy and personal transformation," Henderson says.  "In the discovery of these realities, a Christian is then empowered and enlightened to pray about issues and needs in a whole new way."

Henderson knows what he is talking about.  For many years, he has conducted free-wheeling prayer gatherings where people share scriptures that are meaningful to them, sing songs and choruses, and pray.  While worshiping God, people are healed emotionally and often changed.

Henderson is not alone.  There is a growing movement in the church for intimacy with God.  It is as old as the Bible, but it is spreading in our day.

Here is a brief video where Francis Chan, the well-known author and preacher, shares his passion for intimacy with Jesus:


No comments:

Post a Comment