Monday 21 April 2014

Chewing God's words

I like to chew on the words of God.

The more I chew, the more I get out of a Bible passage that catches my eye.  These thoughts help fuel my prayer life.

I was led to this approach some years ago by someone speaking in a video about meditative prayer.  I have since forgotten his name.  But it is a practice that goes back centuries.

I tend to move slowly through the scriptures, stopping at a verse that I wish to explore further.  Recently, I have been going through the gospels this way and have reached Luke 21 where Jesus is speaking of the end times.

My method is very minimal.  I read the passage just before bedtime and choose a verse to memorize.  As I read it, I imagine Jesus speaking the words and the people listening.  And I think in pictures of the words he is saying.

Last night, I settled on Luke 21: 12-13 where Jesus is speaking of coming persecution for those who follow him.  Not the happiest portion to contemplate before sleeping.

But these verses made me think about Jesus' honesty, the cost of following him, and God's great plan for the world.  Jesus did not sugar-coat the future for his disciples.  But he prepared them for what was to come.

What struck me was how the plan of God would unfold as the disciples were hauled before the authorities, accused of being followers of the hated Christ.  This, Jesus said, would give the disciples the opportunity to witness to kings and governors.

Persecution would be an opening to spread the message of hope - the good news of salvation through Christ.

These verses can lead to personal prayer.  Prayer for courage in the face of opposition to Jesus.  Prayer of thanks that the Spirit is there to guide us when we are attacked (see Luke 21:14-15).  Prayers of praise that God is working out his plan in times of trouble.

This passage left me with the feeling that I am not alone when I stand up for Jesus.  God is with me.  And any troubles I face by following Jesus are for a purpose that God has already determined.

There are many ways of meditating on scripture.  Paul Covert touches on quite a number in his book Threshold: Transformational Prayer, Transformational Prayer Ministry.  Covert's book is filled with great ideas on prayer.

Meditative prayer is nourishing - deepening our understanding of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment