Monday 7 April 2014

Dreaming God's dreams


If we live close to God, we will want to do what he is asking us to do.

Learning to come before him with open hands and a willing heart is essential to drawing close to him.  That is the first step in following the path he has laid out for us.

In her book Enjoying the Presence of God, Jan Johnson says that God's overall purpose for us is simple: He wants people to come to know Christ.  Our task is to draw near to God and to help others do so, too.

"Within that large envelope," she writes, "are the dreams he has for each of us and the moment-by-moment versions of that dream.

"We open that envelope every day and tune into the ins and outs of conversations until we have a sense of God reaching back to lead us with one hand while his other hand stretches forth unseen into his will."

As she says, we begin to ask ourselves: "Do I really need a new shirt or should I  enjoy some solitude with God, meet a struggling friend for lunch, or mow my neighbour's lawn?"

"More of our days begin with questions like, How do your purposes for me in this world fit in today's agenda?  Am I focusing on the dreams you have put in front of me?"

She has used that approach to settle competing demands for her time as a lecturer and speaker.  She turns down some opportunities because they do not fit with the dreams God has given her, even if they offer more money than the ones she accepts.

God's hand leads us as we spend time with him in prayer and meditation.  We ask God questions and listen to his promptings in our hearts.  We ask him what he is bringing forth in our lives.

Then, when thoughts spring into our minds about the needs of our families, our churches, or our hearts, we know whether they are in line with what God has been telling us.  That makes decisions easier.

I cannot say I am consistent in following Jan Johnson's counsel.  But I have followed this path in different ways for some years.

When I do have this conversation with God,  I find peace and confidence in making decisions about what particular turn in the road I should take.  The promptings I receive from him are always in line with his character as outlined in his word.

God wants me to make this a habit.  He loves it when I talk with him.



No comments:

Post a Comment