Sunday 5 July 2015

Rest

One of the hardest lessons to learn in prayer is - rest.

On the surface, it is easy -  you just stop trying to do things and you remain peaceful before God.

But when I slow down to do nothing but stay in God's presence, I find all kinds of thoughts clamouring for attention.

But great men and women of prayer have practiced resting until it becomes second nature - as natural as breathing.

I say it is a hard lesson to learn because I want immediate results from prayer.  If I have a need, I want God to deal with it.  I want action.

The problem with my thinking is that I want God to adapt to my agenda.  I have decided what is important and I want him to deal with it.

Yet, Jesus made this great statement which is familiar to most Christians:

"Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you.  Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)

In these verses, he is telling me that he will give me rest if I come to him.  The suggestion here is that I must come to him to learn - not to order him around.

The words "take my yoke upon you" suggest that I must let him lead me.  He is the who will lead.  He will teach me.

He makes the promise that I will find this the easy path - the burdens of life will feel light in comparison to my worried demands.

One of my favourite authors, Jeanne Guyon, suggests in a book she wrote in 17th century France that one way to find this rest is to:

  • Begin by slowly - and meditatively - reading scripture until you sense you are in God's presence;
  • Give yourself up to God and what he wants with you;
  • Rest quietly in his presence and enjoy him; and
  • When you find your mind wandering, return to reading scripture and meditating until you are simply basking in his presence.
God will touch our hearts where we have sinned, but we are not to beat ourselves over what we have done.  We are to accept his correction and return to him.

Guyon quotes the great fourth century Christian leader, Augustine, as saying: "Love God and then do what you please."

His desires will become our desires.  And we will find answers to our prayers because we are praying his will.

For me the lesson is: "Less worry, less hurry, more resting in Jesus."

No comments:

Post a Comment