Monday 16 November 2015

Pray for the nation!

Tragedies like the terrorist killings in Paris drive us to pray for our country.

But do we pray when things seem normal?

I realize I am more committed to praying for Canada when there is a crisis.  I tend to neglect praying for the nation when things are quiet.

Why is that?

Perhaps it's because I forget the enemy moves by stealth until he sparks a sudden eruption.  Over time, he gradually extends his control over people and countries through this clever and effective strategy.

Maybe the most important time to pray is when things are calm.

Through the prophet Ezekiel, God speaks these sad and convicting words to Israel: "I looked for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found none."

God looked for one person to pray for sinful Israel so he could spare his people.  But no one did.

His conclusion should ring in our hearts: "So I will pour out my wrath upon them with my fiery anger, bringing down on their own heads all they have done, declares the Sovereign Lord." (Ezekiel 22:31)

God used Ezekiel to issue this warning to his people Israel.  But it could also be to any country in the world.

If we do not seek God's help, we should not be surprised what happens when the evil one has full freedom to do what he wants.

How can we pray for our country?  Several ways pop into my mind:

  • We can worship God, praising him for winning the victory over Satan on the cross;
  • We can call upon him to bring spiritual revival to our country;
  • We can pray for godly men and women to rise up to confront spiritual and social evils in our land;
  • We can pray that God would inspire all believers to reach out to others with love, good works, and the good news of Jesus Christ; and
  • We can pray that God would give wisdom, strength, and courage to our government leaders in fighting attacks on our country and our social peace.
God wants us to pray for our nations.  Let's do it.



No comments:

Post a Comment