Monday 18 January 2016

Watch!

Keeping watch is important for every prayer warrior - indeed, every Christian.

I gained insight into how essential watching is when my wife and I visited modern-day Nazareth some years ago and saw a model of what the village was like in Jesus' day.

Our guide pointed out a high covered booth on a hill beside the village where a watchman stood to look for marauders and predators.  He was there to give advance warning - vital to the protection of the people.

In the same way, followers of Christ are called to keep a look-out - watching for how our God is moving around us and to be alert to the enemy's schemes.

Speaking of the Messiah, Solomon writes in Proverbs 8: "Joyful are those who listen to me, watching for me daily at my gates, waiting for me outside my home."

We are to keep our minds, ears and eyes open to what Jesus is telling us through the Holy Spirit.  Are we to pray for someone who jumps into our minds?  Do we see how God is doing something good in our lives when we feel everything is going wrong?

Jesus also told us to keep watch for his return in Matthew 25 in the parable of the wise and foolish bridesmaids who were tasked with having oil ready for their lamps at the arrival of the bridegroom for the wedding feast.

In other words, we must walk closely with Jesus in our own lives so that we will be ready if he returns at any moment.  Prayer is key in keeping close to Jesus.

And we must stay alert in our prayers to Satan's attempts to turn us away from God.

Jesus highlighted this in his words to Peter in the Garden of Gethsemane where he was praying just before his arrest on the eve of the crucifixion.

In Matthew 26, Jesus said to a sleepy Peter: "Keep watch and pray, so that you will not give in to temptation."

I know that temptations of all kinds leap to my mind more quickly than do rational warnings.  I need to be alert to that and rely on the Holy Spirit to guard my mind and heart.

Of course, one of Satan's greatest successes is when he turns me away from praying.  Sadly, that happens too often.

So, I must remember to call on the Holy Spirit to fill me and guide my thoughts as I pray.  He will keep me focused on what - and who - he wants me to pray about.

Jude's comment in Jude 20 is essential to faithful, alert, and watchful prayer:

"And you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit."


No comments:

Post a Comment