Sunday 7 February 2016

Intimacy before business

Stefan Smart makes a strong case that how we approach God in prayer is as important as our list of requests.

Smart writes in his book Deeper: Contemplative Prayer for Charismatic Christians that we need to prepare ourselves before we pray.  He says we need to "slow down" and open ourselves to God before we rattle off our needs.

I think that makes very good sense.

Often, I come to God with a thousand things on my mind.  That can make me feel hurried and pressured rather than being thankful and restful before the Lord.

But really, what is more important - my prayer list or my relationship with God?

Many believers are sceptical about contemplative prayer, worrying about cultic practices.  As Smart says, Christians must always be watchful about practices that turn our eyes away from Jesus.   But spending time in worship and peace before God is in tune with scripture.

The psalmist writes in Psalm 46:10: "Be still and know that I am God."  And in Psalm 27, David says that all he wants to do is "to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple".

Jesus places the emphasis on coming to him in our busy lives, learning of him, and finding rest (Matthew 11:28-30).  We can't find rest if we jump into our prayers and fret about all the things we have to do.

I have learned to stop and picture Christ with me as he promised in Matthew 28:20.  I sit quietly in his presence, not speaking to him.  I simply enjoy him in silence.  That alone can calm me down and turn my thoughts to him and away from my concerns.

Smart also talks of this and offers other suggestions for enjoying God's presence such as:

  • Simply loosening yourself up by breathing in and breathing out the word "Jesus";
  • Listening to quiet music while you think about God;
  • Going for a walk in nature.  I sometimes look at the trees and bushes and birds and use them as a prompt to praise God;
  • Lighting a candle and thinking about Jesus as the light of the world - I have a friend who does this; 
  • Using a technique recommended by Richard Foster - sitting in a relaxed position and turning your palms down to indicate that you are releasing your worries and your palms up "as a symbol of your desire to receive from the Lord";
  • Reading a few verses from the Bible out of enjoyment - not for deep study; and
  • Meditating upon God's love.
Smart says we should be prepared simply to spend time with God alone even if it means we haven't prayed through our list of needs.  We should ask the Holy Spirit to make us aware of his presence.

"God wants us to get to know him and enjoy his company," he says. "Actually, God wants to enjoy ours, too.  That is the main reason we pray.  Everything else is incidental."



No comments:

Post a Comment