Sunday 10 April 2016

Drawing near to God

Picture yourself lost in a forest - you are bumping into trees because you are practically blind from the darkness.

Then, you see a distant light and head for it.  You find yourself at the edge of a clearing and God in his blazing glory is at the other end.

You stare at him and suddenly you react the way Peter did to Jesus in Luke 5:8 - you fall to the ground and say: "Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man (or woman)."

But you feel compelled to move towards God.  You get up and take one step and, amazingly, you see God move toward you.

As you move towards each other you realize that God is reading your thoughts and emotions.  And you begin to get insights into what God is thinking.  You know he loves you despite your many faults.

This is the picture that comes to my mind as I read the wonderful words in James 4:8: "Draw near to God and he will draw near to you."

There is a world of meaning in those few words.

We know from scripture that as we draw closer to God, we feel unworthy and yet deeply loved and valued.  We feel humbled and more and more dependent on the Lord.

In Isaiah 6, the prophet Isaiah describes his vision of the glorious and terrifying God and his reaction like Peter's:

"It's all over.  I am doomed, for I am a sinful man.  I have filthy lips and I live among a people with filthy lips.  Yet I have seen the King, the Lord of heaven's armies."

But far from turning away, God offers Isaiah cleansing and a commission - his life-long task as the Lord's prophet.  An angel touches Isaiah's lips with a coal and says: "Now your guilt is removed, and your sins forgiven."

When God asks who will go as a messenger to his people, Isaiah calls out: "Here I am.  Send me."

From this story, I draw this lesson: As I draw near to God, I am humbled.  I see myself as I really am - a needy man.  There is nothing I can boast about.

Now, I'm ready to be changed by God.  Through Jesus, he has provided forgiveness for my sins.  Through the Holy Spirit, he has provided a way for me to carry out his work in my world.

But first, I must draw near to God.  I must go to him in prayer.



No comments:

Post a Comment