Tuesday 26 April 2016

Ministering to God

God is nudging me along an old road - one that goes back to the beginning of creation: Worship.

I am learning that I am called - as all believers are - to worship God.  That's why I'm here on earth and that's what I will do when I see the Lord in eternity.

A few weeks ago, I wrote about John Piper's comments in his book Let the Nations Be Glad that worshiping God comes before missions.

He said that worship is the goal of missions - to bring more people into the kingdom of God where they will worship him.  And it is the fuel of missions - only as we are deeply in love with God and worshiping him will we be effective in reaching others.

Now, I'd like to touch on another aspect of worship highlighted by Bill Johnson, author and pastor of Bethel Church in Redding, California.

He says in his book Strengthen Yourself in the Lord that we are to "minister" to God in worship.

That idea delights me.

"Ministering" makes me think of acts of kindness and love.  A lover will minister to the beloved by doing something that pleases him or her.  Maybe it is just a drink of water.

Worshiping God shows that I love him and care about him.

Johnson writes: "My father (a pastor) trained our family and his congregation that our identity as believers is first as worshipers."

It's an interesting thought.  In effect, Johnson is saying that the Christian life is not all about me and what I'm doing for God - it's about God.

Sure, I'm to love and serve others.  And I am to reach out to others with the gospel.

But, Johnson says his father told his listeners that "our main job was ministering to the Lord, and . . . everything we did in ministry to people should be an overflow and outgrowth of that primary ministry".

To worship God, Johnson says, we need to consciously praise him and thank him continually.

That may be particularly hard when I'm feeling low.  But, as I praise him, I am making a sacrifice that shows I love him.

The scriptures - in particular, the Psalms - are an excellent launching pad into worship.  Growing familiar with the Word of God, I learn more about the Lord and worship him better.

As I look for God - and trust him - even in hard times, I learn how to be thankful.

Johnson urges us to worship God with all of our minds and bodies as well as our spirits.

He rightly points out that David was very expressive in his worship of God - even dancing before the Lord.  Some - myself included - would find that hard to do.  But there are many ways we can celebrate our God in private or public.

As the writer of Hebrews put it: "Let us offer through Jesus a continual sacrifice of praise to God, proclaiming our allegiance to him."

Praising God shows God - and everyone else - that we love him and care for him.




No comments:

Post a Comment