Monday 9 May 2016

Prayer moves the world

What's the most important task of the Christian church?

It's prayer, says Paul E. Billheimer, author of Destined to Overcome.

Billheimer himself recognizes that "few of us really believe in our hearts that prayer is where the action is".  But he presents a strong case that it is.

There is certainly scriptural support that prayer is vital in God's eyes.

In Ezekial 22, we read about God's plan to punish Israel for its sins - a judgement he will carry out because no one interceded for the nation.

"I searched for someone to stand in the gap in the wall so I wouldn't have to destroy the land, but I found no one," the Lord says.  "So now I will pour out my fury on them, consuming them with the fire of my anger."

In Matthew 18, Jesus makes the amazing statement: "I tell you the truth, whatever you forbid on earth will be forbidden in heaven, and whatever you permit on earth will be permitted in heaven."

He goes on to say: "I also tell you this: If two of you agree here on earth concerning anything you ask, my Father in heaven will do it for you."

The key, Jesus adds, is that we must be his followers.  If we are, we can be sure that he is among us.

For me, this means that what Jesus wants is the driving force behind prayer that changes things.  In other words, we must seek God's mind and then pray God's will.

Billheimer declares that Christian believers are being trained in this life to rule with Christ in the life to come.

He refers to Revelation 3:21 where Christ says: "To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne."

Prayer is the means by which we enforce God's will on earth and prepare for ruling under God in eternity, says Billheimer

As the apostle Paul said in Ephesians 6, our battle as believers is not with flesh and blood, but against dark forces outside our human vision.  Satan and his minions are working to thwart God's plans as much as they can.

Paul tells us to equip ourselves with spiritual armour such as the word of God and finishes with these words: "And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.  With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints."

As Paul saw it, prayer matters.

It should matter to all believers.


No comments:

Post a Comment