Monday 2 May 2016

One step at a time

I'm learning that patience and trust are essential in my prayer life.

Like many others, I get easily discouraged when my idea of a spiritual breakthrough is slow in coming.

Every once in a while, I find myself returning to the words of Minnie Louise Haskins in a poem written more than 100 years ago on the eve of a new year:

I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year
"Give me a light
 That I may tread safely into the Unknown."
And he replied, 
"Go out into the Darkness
And put your hand into the Hand of God.
That shall be to you
Better than light
And safer than the known way.

King George VI of England quoted those words in a broadcast at the outbreak of the Second World War - a time when no one knew what horrors had just been unleashed.

I can expect fear and discouragement to melt away when I put my hand trustingly into the hand of God.

In fact, the Bible is filled with stories of men and women who plunged into the darkness, not knowing what was to come.

I think of Daniel and his three Jewish friends - Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah.  All four were Jewish slaves taken to Babylon, subject to the whims of King Nebuchadnezzar.

Their outlook was grim.  Indeed, we read in Daniel 2 that the king was so furious with the failure of his wise men to interpret a strange dream that he threatened to kill them all, including the four Jewish young men.

So, Daniel and his friends prayed and God gave the young prophet the interpretation of the king's dream.

Later, the king threw Daniel's three friends into a fiery furnace when they refused to worship a gold statue as God.  But the Lord spared them unscathed with a fourth man - an angel - walking among them.

And finally, Daniel was tossed into a lion's den by a later king - Darius - and survived when an angel shut the lion's mouths.

All four rose to high positions in the government and Nebuchadnezzar and Darius acknowledged the greatness of God.

Think of it: Four young slaves became high government officials while remaining true to God in a dangerous world.  Not one of them could have imagined the ultimate plan God had for them.

They could have turned away from God and compromised with their captors.  But they trusted God and were ready to die for him.

I need to remember this lesson as I pray.

Like Daniel and his friends, I need to trust the Lord to take me forward to his destination.

One step at a time. 

2 comments:

  1. Bob, thank you for your reminder of our great God and His timing. His way is perfect, always! I really needed this assurance this week. God Bless you for your insight and ministry Bob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debby, for your very encouraging remarks.

      Delete