Wednesday 27 February 2019

Waiting

Waiting is important in prayer.

I say it's important because the psalmist says it is - frequently.

But how and why are we to wait?

I am naturally an impatient man.  I want to see results right away from whatever I do.

But I have learned that rushing things doesn't always yield dividends.

Like many others, I have often gone to God with specific demands without asking him what he wants.  Sometimes he gives me what I request - other times, not.

But, looking at scripture, I see that the great people of prayer spent a lot of time with God, getting to know him and what he wanted in their lives.

For example, take Moses.

I turn often to Exodus 33 and its description of Moses going out to the Tent of Meeting to commune with the Lord, accompanied by his young disciple Joshua.  The people knew that this was Moses' special time with God where he would hear from the Lord.

Moses would sometimes question God, but he knew he had been commissioned by the Lord to lead the people God's way - not his.

So, he learned to listen and wait when others would have plunged ahead with their own agendas.

That teaches me an important lesson: If I want to see God work in my life, I need to wait, listen and obey.

My record in this area is uneven.  I have a lot to learn.

Dick Eastman urges me in his book The Hour That Changes The World to simply spend time in silence daily, just focusing my mind on God and his love - enjoying him.  In other words, I am to seek God for himself - not for his gifts.

I believe that was Moses' approach.  And David's, too.

I love David's words in Psalm 27:4:

"One thing I ask from the Lord, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the Lord, and to seek him in his temple."

Moses and David were leaders and men of action.  But they ardently sought God's presence - and waited upon him.

I can see difficulties in waiting.  It's hard not to decide what is right in certain circumstances and ask God to do my bidding.

And I believe we are to bring our needs before the Lord.  He wants to hear from us and help us.

But, ultimately, I know that there is blessing in putting everything aside and coming to God for himself alone.

All fears subside as I get to know the Lord better.


No comments:

Post a Comment