Tuesday 23 January 2018

Leaning on Jesus

I am a compulsive planner in spiritual areas - including prayer.

It is, I admit, a weakness.

I am learning the wisdom of the writer of Proverbs in Proverbs 3:5-6:

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding.  Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take."

The danger of my over-planning is that I may miss what Jesus really wants in my life.

Jesus was quite clear about this when he said in John 15: "I am the vine; you are the branches.  If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."

This issue leapt to my mind once again while reading an engaging book Everyday Supernatural: Living a Spirit-led Life without Being Weird by Mike Pilavachi and Andy Croft.

Pilavachi and Croft are seeing God work powerfully in people's lives through their charismatic Anglican church in Watford, England.

They say the key is not their personal abilities but the presence of God.

"Our goal should be relationship with Jesus, not power from Jesus," they write.

They point out that in Exodus 33, Moses refused to lead the Israelites any further without God being present.  The Lord had indicated he was upset with the Israelites because of their disobedience but was prepared to have an angel lead the way.

Moses said that without God's presence, the Israelites would be no different than any other group of people.  God agreed to go with them.

Moses had an extremely close relationship with the Father.  And the disciples had a similar relationship with Jesus.  And God moved with power among them.

"What sets Christians apart from non-Christians isn't that we're funnier, better-looking or better dressed than non-Christians," say Pilavachi and Croft.  "What really distinguishes us is that we are a people of God's presence.  It's never about what we can do - it's about who we are with."

They say that we must allow God's love to flow through us to others.  That means we must know God's love ourselves and be willing to do what God wants us to do.

So, how does that apply to me in my prayer life?

I still think planning is worthwhile.  But I must not let my plans stand in the way of what Jesus wants.

I must constantly ask the Lord: "What do you want me to do?  What do you want in this situation?"

And I must have my eyes, ears and mind open to what he is telling me.  And obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment