Monday 15 January 2018

Speak to me

The boy Samuel heard the voice of God but thought it was his mentor and guardian, Eli the priest.

Fortunately, Eli knew better and told Samuel to go back to bed and ask the Lord to speak to him.  Samuel did and it was the start of a lifetime of being guided by God.

This Bible story in Samuel 3 is instructive.  It tells us something about listening to the Lord.

There are several lessons I draw from this episode:
  • I need to take time to hear God;
  • I need to figure out what is from God and what is not; and 
  • I need to accept and obey whatever he asks me to do.
Samuel learned to distinguish God from other voices and he obeyed the Lord to the letter.  His experience in asking God which of Jesse's sons to anoint as the future king showed that he did not let his eyes and mind decide who was best suited for the job.  He listened to God and chose the youngest and least likely son - David (see 1 Samuel 16).

As you know, there are various ways of hearing God - reading the scriptures, hearing God's audible voice, seeing images and visions, and receiving promptings among others.

Probably the most common ways are God giving us mental promptings and the Holy Spirit bringing scripture passages alive in our minds and hearts so that we act upon them.

For some years, I have kept a spiritual journal somewhat along the lines outlined in Mark and Patti Virkler's book How to Hear God's Voice.  I bring a question to God - most often it is "Father, what do you wish to say to me?"  And then I write down what comes to mind.

I trust the Lord to honour my request to speak to me as he did to Samuel many centuries ago.  I then enter a dialogue with God, pursuing some of the things he says.

So, how do I know whether it is God speaking?  I can tell from the responses that flow over my page.  If they are contrary to the words and character of God, they are not from him.

The vast majority of these journal entries are mundane, everyday things.  But they deal with heart matters that are important to me at the time. 

God's words help straighten me out when I have hurt someone - but he is gentle in how he does it.   And, more often than not, his answers are loving and encouraging and even uplifting.

Of course, getting to know God is essential.  That's where consistent reading and pondering Bible passages is so important.

Naturally, we don't all have time - or the inclination - to write.  But writers on listening prayer are quite clear that we need to find time and a place where we can say to God as Samuel did: "Speak, for your servant is listening." (1 Samuel 3: 10)

I have never had a life-changing word from the Lord in the years I  have kept this journal.  The Virklers and others say that we should never make a major decision without carefully examining God's word and discussing it with mature believers.

But I have found that this journaling exercise has refreshed me, brought me peace, and pointed me to the path I should follow. 

It has also underlined areas where I need to change.  That can be humbling.

But God does not condemn me. 

As the apostle Paul said in Romans 8:38, nothing in all creation "will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord".


No comments:

Post a Comment