Monday 8 January 2018

The sacrifice of praise

I am an occasional praise-er and thank-er.

But the apostle Paul tells me I must give thanks in all circumstances all the time (1 Thessalonians 5:18).  That means praising and thanking God in both good and bad times.

Why is it important that I offer thanks and praise to the Lord?

I think it's because it's pleasing to God and good for me.

Praise and thanks are offerings to the Lord.  And he responds with pleasure and power.

The book of Hebrews says: "Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise - the fruit of lips that openly profess his name."  And the writer goes on to say that God is pleased with that and with acts of kindness.

It's interesting that the writer of Hebrews calls praising and thanking God a sacrifice.

On the surface, saying a few words to God doesn't seem very sacrificial.  But if I do it to please God, it becomes a sacrifice.

The key issue is: Do I mean what I say?  Am I offering heartfelt praise and thanks?

Terry Law, author of The Power of Praise and Worship, says that true praise is a choice and a discipline.  It is a choice that I must make all the time - to praise God for who he is and to thank him for what he is doing in my life.

He tells the story of a pastor of a large charismatic church in London, England who realized that people were just going through the motions during praise and worship in his church.  They weren't offering praise from their hearts.

So, the pastor told the congregation that the world-class worship leader Matt Redman and the worship band would cease playing during periods of worship.  Instead, people would offer worship on their own - out of their hearts.

"When you come through the doors of the church on Sunday, what are you bringing as your offering to God?" asked Pastor Mike Pilavachi. "What are you going to sacrifice today?"

At first, there were awkward silences during the church service.  Not much singing.  But gradually the congregation learned how to worship the Lord from the heart.

After a few weeks, Matt Redman and the worship band returned to lead singing.  But the congregation had changed and the experience led Redman to write his song "The Heart of Worship".

I can see a few easy things I can do in continually praising God and thanking him:

  • I can spend time thinking about him and who he is as I read the scriptures - the Psalms are full of good material;
  • I can recall the good things he has done in my life during the day - the little things I usually take for granted; and
  • I can turn to him when I'm down and recall Christ's great words to his disciples in Matthew 28:20: "Be sure of this, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
I know from experience that praise changes me and my outlook on life.

I just need to practice it.


No comments:

Post a Comment